In 2016, I started a new job which meant a new commute. My previous commute was a 12 minute walk which I enjoyed year-round, in any weather (rain, snow, cold, heat, etc.). I knew my new commute would be quite different but I was determined to find a way to avoid getting in my car and to include some time in nature each day.

Hence, this is where the scooter came into play. So after some research online, I bought a Razor A5 Lux in blue and began playing with it. Fortunately I had a few weeks in between jobs to test it out and pick out my ideal routes.

My commute then included a 1.7 mile scooter ride in the morning through my quiet neighborhood and then down a beautiful bike path full of wild life to where I catch the county bus to work. In the afternoon, I alternated between taking the county bus followed by that same 1.7 scooter ride from the morning or taking the coach bus to the park and ride followed by a 2.5 mile scooter ride on the sidewalk along a busier road. They both had their advantages and I liked the flexibility.

Now you may ask yourself, how much of the year could I really scooter in such a cold weather state? The answer is most of it. The cold didn't stop me. It never has. Snow covered trails would stop me though but fortunately my city plowed the bike paths, so they don't stay snow covered for long. And I don't scooter on wet pavement in the morning as the spray up turns the back of my dress a bit muddy. (In the evenings when I can go home, clean up and change, I don't mind the rain or wet pavement.)

In November of 2018, I moved to a new city, Birmingham, AL in a much warmer climate, where my commute is now 7 blocks. It is amazing to now have a 4 minute commute to work! Such a change from my one-way hour commute in Milwaukee!

In late June of 2026, I made my next leap to Atlanta where I think I will retire the scooter and continue these adventures on foot.

Let me tell you how I came up with the name for this blog, "The Scooter Lady". I was downtown Milwaukee afterwork one day riding my scooter. (I don't even remember why I was hanging out downtown that day.) I stopped in the local mall and was carrying my scooter when someone yelled out, "hey there's the scooter lady!" When I told a colleague at work this story, he told me I needed to create a webpage for The Scooter Lady. So without further ado, read on for my experiences commuting by scooter.





Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Back on my scooter again!

Sunday evening, just before sunset, I felt restless.  I kept thinking about my scooter in the closet where I had just stashed it the day before when I brought it home in a car load from Birmingham.  It had been more than four weeks since I had taken it out for a spin.

I know it was getting late but the path I had in mind I knew was well traveled so that even after sunset I would feel relatively safe.  So I put on a pair of sandals and walked out the door with it in my hand.

The small parking lot I had to cross to get to the bike path is made of brick and so it was quite a bumpy ride to start.  I arrived at the street and looked both ways down the bike lane that is physically separated from traffic to see that it was actually empty of other bikes and electric scooters, so I entered it and headed east.

I know my neighborhood is full of rolling hills but you never realize how big those hills are until you are on wheels.  For a long time, I soared downhill, my scooter continuing to pick up speed as it felt like I was flying.  It was enough of a hill that went on for long enough that I didn't even notice the uphill section that came next - I had that much momentum!

At that point I had a decision - head north or south on the beltline.  I went north.  The last colors from the sunset were fading from the sky at this point.  It was a humid evening and so the sweat was already dripping from my body.  Stopping to take a selfie, I saw how windswept my hair was.


The path was as busy as I expected it with dog walkers, joggers, people on electric scooters, children, couples going for a stroll, etc.  What an incredible gem for the city of Atlanta!

There were a few people that when they saw me, they smiled brightly, almost seeming to chuckle quietly.  I tell myself that there is just something so freeing at seeing an adult letting her childlike self truly enjoy life.  Or maybe they were laughing at me.   Honestly, it makes no difference to me.  My joy in the moment couldn't be contained or diminished.

Eventually the path started to get a bit quieter as I went past people's backyards instead of busy businesses.  There was a cool tunnel at one point with beautiful murals.  

And then I started remembering how much of my path had felt downhill.  I looked at my maps app on my phone and estimated I was probably more than 3 miles from home so I turned around.  I noted that I had not once had to enter or cross traffic on this entire adventure.  

On my way back, I got glimpses of the Atlanta skyline that took my breath away.

As I walked back into my apartment, I was glowing - both from the sweat that covered me and from the joy I felt from the whole experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment